Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
Cheshire fire bosses urge caution in National Chip Week
4:00pm Saturday 15th February 2014 in News
FIRE chiefs are urging fries fans to take care during National Chip Week over the next seven days.
Last year, more than half of all accidental fires in the home started in the kitchen, with chip pan fires having a very high rate of casualties.
Cheshire Fire bosses want to warn residents that leaving a chip pan unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results as the oil can easily overheat and ignite.
Advice is to switch from the pan to the oven or a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer.
Mark Cashin, deputy chief fire officer for Cheshire Fire, said: “From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week.
“But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
“Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended.
“If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it – get out, stay out and call 999.”
Tips also include avoid overfilling a chip pan with oil and don’t cook after drinking alcohol.