Fears over more redundancies at Culcheth High as sixth form is earmarked for closure

Fears over more redundancies at Culcheth High as sixth form is earmarked for closure

Fears over more redundancies at Culcheth High as sixth form is earmarked for closure

First published in News

A TEACHING union has raised serious concerns over the way education bosses at Culcheth High School have dealt with a redundancy.

The national executive member for NASUWT for Merseyside and Cheshire, Mick Burrows, said the way the situation was handled was ‘inhumane’ and ‘unacceptable’.

One design and technology teacher at the school was forced to take redundancy last month as part of a restructuring of the school.

The union say they have been told that this is not part of any plans to close the sixth form but part of a ‘re-shaping process’.

He added that, following a proposal in October by the governing body to close the school’s sixth form by August 2015, the union were ready to fight for its members.

Mr Burrows said: “Our concern is the way the situation has been handled and that is our main concern for the future.

“The union are not happy with the way the redundancy was dealt with. We do not approve of their methods and there are other ways of dealing with this.

“The two teachers had to fight for their jobs in a competitive interview against each other. This is an unacceptable and inhumane way of dealing with it.”

The proposal to close the sixth form on Warrington Road will be discussed at Monday’s council executive board meeting.

The reason for the proposal is linked to the declining number of students attending the sixth form, despite the increasing pupil numbers at the high school.

This has lead to a reduction in the number of courses the sixth form has been able to offer.

Clr Chris Vobe said he will continue to monitor the staff situation at the school in light of the proposal.

He added: “I know from confidential approaches I have had from teaching staff that there is a fear, should the sixth form close, that more redundancies are possible.

“I hope to keep in close contact with the NUT and other relevant unions to assess how any proposals will impact on the school as a whole.”

If the proposal is given the green light, the school will no longer admit students from September.

Students currently enrolled at the sixth form will able to finish their course of study.

A council spokesman said: “If, following the outcome of the full consultation, the sixth form is closed, it will be with effect from August 31, 2015.

“Therefore, the school will review staffing and curriculum requirements in the spring of 2015 with a view to implementing changes by 31 August if necessary.”

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:20am Thu 6 Feb 14

HappyMisery says...

Its not just about the redundancies and teachers though. My son is in Year 11 and he's had less than 12 months notice about the change. The plan was for him to continue through sixth form and on to university, now we have to apply for colleges - which is not a huge issue, but the fact that he's no longer guaranteed a place and has to follow an application process, puts additional stress on the kids with big exams coming up .

The school have dealt with this badly - they have told the parents that they haven't made a decision and nothings final, but the teachers have told the kids to apply for college because its a foregone conclusion.

Again, in an age where you can receive a fine for taking a holiday in term time, it seems that schools in general have a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude towards a childs education.
Its not just about the redundancies and teachers though. My son is in Year 11 and he's had less than 12 months notice about the change. The plan was for him to continue through sixth form and on to university, now we have to apply for colleges - which is not a huge issue, but the fact that he's no longer guaranteed a place and has to follow an application process, puts additional stress on the kids with big exams coming up . The school have dealt with this badly - they have told the parents that they haven't made a decision and nothings final, but the teachers have told the kids to apply for college because its a foregone conclusion. Again, in an age where you can receive a fine for taking a holiday in term time, it seems that schools in general have a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude towards a childs education. HappyMisery
  • Score: 5

10:14am Thu 6 Feb 14

Nick Tessla says...

It would appear that it was a waste of public funds when this was the only school in Warrington to benefit from Labour's Building Schools For The Future debacle.
It would appear that it was a waste of public funds when this was the only school in Warrington to benefit from Labour's Building Schools For The Future debacle. Nick Tessla
  • Score: 7

7:51pm Fri 7 Feb 14

Dibble29 says...

It is totally unacceptable to close the sixth form, the children are told that there will be no sixth form, As far as I am aware a consultation with parents was not conducted and the open evening to talk about the proposal was under advertised and therefore under attended.
It is totally unacceptable to close the sixth form, the children are told that there will be no sixth form, As far as I am aware a consultation with parents was not conducted and the open evening to talk about the proposal was under advertised and therefore under attended. Dibble29
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree