Fire warning after tealights start Chapelford blaze

Fire warning after tea lights start blaze

Fire warning after tea lights start blaze

First published in News
Last updated

FIRE chiefs have issued a warning over tealights after a blaze at the weekend in Chapelford has meant one family has had to leave their home.

Crews were called to the house on Virginia Gardens at 4.55pm on Saturday after nearby residents spotted smoke billowing from a bedroom window.

Firefighters found the first floor of the detached property was heavily smoke logged after tealights had been left burning on top of a TV.

A large fan was used to clear the smoke before firefighters checked for any hotspots in the loft by cutting away plaster from ceilings and walls.

The damage has meant the occupants are now unable to live there.

Sean Henshaw, station manager, said: “Luckily nobody was hurt in the incident.

“However, this is not always the case, as candle and tealight fires result in around 350 casualties nationally each year.

“To prevent this sort of fire from starting in your home you should make sure your candles and tealights are in heat resistant containers, kept away from flammable materials like curtains, and ensure they are put out when you leave the room, even for a moment.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:27am Tue 14 Jan 14

irishwire says...

Who leaves these things on top of tellys? Bloody idiots!
Who leaves these things on top of tellys? Bloody idiots! irishwire
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree