UPDATED: 'Unfair' Mersey crossing tolls should be shelved - Labour politician says (From Warrington Guardian)
Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
UPDATED: 'Unfair' Mersey crossing tolls should be shelved - Labour politician says
12:00pm Wednesday 11th December 2013 in News
A POLITICIAN says it is ‘wrong’ that toll charges - waived for a road extension in Cambridge - will remain for the new Mersey Gateway bridge crossing.
Nick Bent, who will stand for Labour in the next General Election in Warrington South, says Warrington will face increased traffic as a result of ‘double-whammy’ of charges on the new crossing and the existing Silver Jubilee bridge in Widnes and Runcorn.
Last week, the Government announced it is scrapping its plan for new road tolls on a £1.5 billion scheme to improve and widen a 25 mile stretch of the A14 road near Cambridge.
The tolls in the north west will remian.
Mr Bent said: “Before the last election the local Tory MP posed with posters saying ‘no tolls’ but his South-obsessed Government is pressing ahead with damaging and unfair tolls on both Mersey bridges.
“Cameron and Osborne should think again.”
David Mowat said: “I regret that this Government, like the previous Labour Government, has been unwilling to provide the funds necessary to build this bridge without tolls.
“I have raised this matter repeatedly in Parliament and will continue to do so.”
Meanwhile Halton Council agreed a deal to provide its residents with 300 free crossings a year, as long as they pay an annual £10 registration fee.
The cost for crossing the bridge per car will be £2 for everyone else - and £1.80 if people have registered.
Comments are closed on this article.