Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
Arpley bosses creating more tip space - claim councillors
10:00am Thursday 5th September 2013 in News
SPACE for a new landfill cell at Arpley tip has been made at a cost of £1.5million - a month before the site is due to close.
Councillors and residents toured the site on Monday with owners of the tip, FCC and saw the land - the size of three football pitches, being cleared.
It is the latest twist in the saga of the Sankey Bridges tip.
As reported in last week’s Warrington Guardian, FCC are already looking at a new bid for a five year extension to the licence to dump rubbish.
It lost a bid to keep the tip open until 2025 in January - a decision it is now appealing to the planning inspector.
Clr Pat Wright, Clr Steve Parish and residents were on site on Monday along with Warrington South parliamentary candidate for Labour Nick Bent.
He said: "The priority now is for the Labour team here and local residents to keep up the pressure on the planning inspector, so I strongly urge people to register their objections to the FCC appeal before the deadline on September 26.
“That is our best chance to block FCC and close Arpley for good."
Last week dozens of residents staged an early morning blockade of the Arpley site, stopping lorries from getting onto the tip.
They say enough is enough and that landfilling must stop.
Council bosses say they will only make a decision on enforcement come October.
A spokesman for FCC said: "As part of our work with the community we provided a site tour to the Arpley community liaison group on Monday.
"As we explained to the tour party, we will shortly be applying to Warrington Council for a short-term extension to the site’s operational life to ensure we can achieve a sustainable long-term restoration solution for the site, as well as the recognised need for the facility in the region.
"For good environmental reasons we cannot just simply close the door at Arpley and walk away from the site in its current condition.
“The works which we have carried out are separate to the longer term scheme which is to be considered at inquiry next February.
"We remain of the opinion that this original application, which was rejected by Warrington Council, should have been approved as it would have enabled us to deliver the restoration programme in its entirety and meet the waste management needs of the area.”
Comments are closed on this article.