Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
Vicar helped with gas works evacuation
12:30pm Tuesday 26th February 2013 in News
FAMILIES in Orford woken by the gas explosion had to be evacuated from homes amid fears there would be further attacks.
Rev Steve Parish opened up St Ann’s Primary School on Lathom Avenue to offer residents shelter.
He said: “I was woken up by someone banging on my door at about 5am.
“They said there had been an explosion at the Gas Works “I phoned the police and they confirmed it so I went to the school.
“I can’t remember how many people were in there but it was everyone from the Alder Lane area.
“There were one or two exotic pets like caged birds that people had decided to bring with them “I remember rushing around trying to find teabags and milk at that time in the morning.”
The Bewsey and Whitecross ward councillor said that people remained calm.
“We coped reasonably well in the circumstances, he said.
“It was remarkable that there wasn’t more damage to houses that were close “It was obvious early on it had been a terrorist attack.
“People were just glad to be safe.
“A man was working in the Shell garage on Winwick Road and nobody had told him.
“I think he was there a long time before someone told him he was sitting on this big pile of petrol and bombs were going off.”