Text us your news! Start your message Warrington News and send any photos or videos to 80360
Retired doctor died from overdose - inquest hears.
9:00am Monday 11th February 2013 in News
A RETIRED doctor died from an overdose after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.
Warrington Coroners Court heard last Wednesday how Dr Bruce Read, of Heatley Close, Lymm was found dead in his room on June 26 2012 by carers.
The 70-year-old, who had worked as a GP in the Staffordshire area before moving to Warrington when he retired, had been diagnosed with the condition in 2010.
His daughter Charlotte Stanley told the court: “I saw him the day before, he had been ok. I didn’t stay very long because he was waiting for his partner to go out for lunch.
"Then he phoned me that night and they hadn’t been able to go out to lunch because he wasn’t able to get to the car.”
When carer Josephine Percival arrived at 5.20pm on June 26 she found Bruce on the bed and contacted the police and ambulance.
Letters were also found on the bed by PC Michael Hayes who also saw a glass with yellow coloured liquid still inside with a powdery substance on the rim of the glass.
Deputy Coroner for Cheshire Janet Napier ruled Dr Read took his own life and died of an overdose of Oxycodone, with patchy bronchopneumonia and motor neurone disease contributing to his death.