A PENSIONER has been praising her neighbour and daughter for their brave efforts after a blaze started in her home.
Dilys Nugent, of Hazel Grove, believes her whole house would have gone up in flames if it had not have been for her daughter Ursula raising the alarm and saving her dog and neighbour Sharon helping to put out the flames.
The 73-year-old was asleep in bed when the toaster fire started in her kitchen in Padgate last Saturday at 1.30am.
She said: “My daughter was downstairs watching a late night film when she screamed for me to get out of bed.
“I could see smoke billowing from the kitchen and then everything after that was a blur and felt like it was happening to somebody else.
“Sharon ran in and threw a fire blanket over the toaster.
“I don’t know how she did it but if she hadn’t I think the whole place would have gone up.”
Mrs Nugent, whose dog Bridie was also rescued by 38-year-old daughter Ursula, said she thought the pair were heroic and was going to buy boxes of chocolates to say thank you.
The group had to have oxygen from firefighters after inhaling smoke and were kept warm by the Red Cross while crews dealt with the blaze.
Mrs Nugent added: “The kitchen is a mess but it could have been much worse.
“It’s destroyed everything on one side of the kitchen apart from a packet of Kitkats which were tucked behind a tray.
“If I won the lottery, I would give it to everybody that helped.”